On week two, we lengthen the time running by 10 seconds and shorten the walk breaks by 10 seconds and we focus on the our second aspect of running form.
This week, you will be concentrating on keeping an upright body posture. That means keeping your head up and your shoulders back. This will feel stiff and uncomfortable at first, but what it does is keep you from leaning forward, a common mistake of most runners.
By running with an upright body position, you will be able to breathe deeper, take longer steps and run more efficiently.
To prove this, during one of your run intervals, really lean forward at the waist and try to continue your pace and breathing. Notice how you can’t breath and you have to shorten your stride length (how far you take for each step). Only do this for a short distance. Then compare how you felt bent over to how you feel with your head and shoulders back.
L2R Week 2 Workout
- Warm Up: 3-5 minutes of brisk walking.
- Interval Training: 30-40 minutes
- Run: 1:10 minutes
- Walk: 1:50 minutes
- Do exactly the time listed, don’t do more because you feel good.
- If you are having trouble completing the run interval, slow down until you can.
- Concentrate on running with an upright body posture.
- Cool Down: 3-5 minutes of brisk walking.
- Stretch: 2 minutes
Learn 2 Run: Basics
Learn 2 Run: Week 1
Learn 2 Run: Week 2
Learn 2 Run: Week 3
Learn 2 Run: Week 4
Learn 2 Run: Week 5
Learn 2 Run: Week 6
Learn 2 Run: Week 7
Learn 2 Run: Week 8
Learn 2 Run: Week 9
Learn 2 Run: Week 10